[PaSuperTech] Count Down to SuperTech/Information For You

Mac Kirkpatrick drbeemer73 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 11:23:33 EST 2019

Greetings all. I hope you are looking forward to SuperTech as much as I am.

Here in PA we've arranged for the typical cold weather greeting, but at
least the cold won't be as bad for the weekend as it is now, so that is
good.

The weekend schedule of events is attached, from Rob Price; likely you will
want a print copy to bring with you.

Several items:
For the presentation that Rob Caso and I will be giving about our
restoration of two R90Ss on Saturday in Area A starting at 10:15 AM, I have
attached a list of "Firsts For BMW" and "Model Year Changes" for the R90S.
I suggest you print it out as we won't have copies for everyone at the
presentation, as sending this email saves time paper and effort.

Please bring lots of restoration questions, as that is the topic we are
presenting, it will be fun.

Carb Syncing, this helps me:
For the presentation about carburetor syncing, I find it easier to
understand this process if I think about our twin cylinder engines as being
two separate engines. The process of syncing them isolates each "engine"
from the other, alternating from one cylinder to the other. Then when
making the RPM level and richness of each "engine" equal, separately, they
match each other and become "sync'ed". This makes the syncing process
easier for me to understand. I hope it helps you as well.

Valve Adjustment, What's a Drag?
There is a lot of talk about valve adjustment among airheads, which MUST be
performed PRIOR to syncing the carbs, since each intake valve opening
amount determines how much raw gas mixture comes in and for the exhaust
valve, how easily spent gas is expelled.

Specifically for valve adjustment, how much "drag" is the correct amount of
drag when you insert the feeler gauge between the top of each valve and the
rocker arm? It is a very subjective feeling. I find that taking a
micrometer and setting it to a setting that matches a feeler gauge of the
same thickness, then inserting the feeler gauge into the micrometer, will
give you a "feel" for the correct amount of "drag" you are looking for.

Powerseal USA:
Our speaker on Sat @ 8:15 in Area B is Jamie Theurkaus, one of the owners
of Powerseal USA, see
http://www.powersealusa.com/
They are nearby in Phoenixville, PA and service work from all over the US.

You can read about his companies capabilities above; he will bring samples
of cylinders for demonstrating how his company applies a Nikasil type of
coating to and rebores cylinders to fit pistons properly. Nikasil was the
name of the coating applied to airheads starting about 1981 when BMW
stopped using iron inserts in aluminum cylinders. This nickel silicon
carbide coating has benefits of much longer life, increased heat
dissipation, better sealing, etc.
I have spoken to Jamie several times and his presentation will be a lot of
fun and very enlightening. Our airheads are getting older and need top end
rebuilds more frequently. He can often save our cylinders economically and
even make them better than new.
He will also bring brochures to hand out.

Dave Cushing, thanks:
Dave Cushing deserves our sincere accolades for bringing the Airhead Store
directly to us as he has for so many BMW gatherings of all kinds
everywhere, for so long. He also promotes airhead membership and
camaraderie, and keeps up the very helpful list of Airhead Capable Shops.
Stop and meet and greet him, and thank him.

Be sure to thank Rob Price and Chris Sutton for all their work in putting
on this SuperTech for all of us, as well as the other PA Airhead get
togethers throughout the year.

Day after tomorrow, see you then :-)

Mac Kirkpatrick
Glenmoore, PA

"After all, what is adventure, but inconvenience, properly regarded?"
C. Donahue