clutch woes

Craig Barnhart barney12231963 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 15:09:58 EST 2021

Hi MD Airheads,

I wrote this to Porter before many people steered him to Southland clutch,
which is a great idea

I've now decided to share what I wrote because it could be a viable
alternative:

I'm sure you'll get different opinions, and I don't claim to be an expert,
but I have learned a lot from doing just about everything on a /5 project
bike, watching Boxer2Valve videos, searching info on Snowbum's site, and
seeking advice from veteran Airheads.

 As a general practice, I replace only what is needed and evaluate other
parts along the way. You definitely need flywheel bolts and a clutch
friction disc. That's what I replaced on my /5 project bike and I got the
disc from Boxer2Valve ($112 including shipping). All my other parts looked
serviceable. If you have questions about individual parts, maybe send pics
to the group.

Cheers,
Craig (The sort of MD Airhead from PA)