[MDairheads] Exhaust Port Thread Success

Kevin Fahey faheykm at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 19:19:54 EDT 2018

Took a shot at the exhaust port threads this evening.  Thread file did the trick quite nicely.  Did get my hands on a 52mm x 2.00 die.  As some suggested, that thing is very aggressive with regard to how much metal it takes off and how quickly into the threading process it starts taking it.  Tried the die after some initial thread file work.  Gave it up and went back to the file.  Threads were more damaged that I initially thought.  Found one I missed on the underside of the port that was in real rough shape.

Die was a relatively inexpensive one from China.  There are very expensive ones available from Europe.  Don't know if a European one would be any less drastic in terms of metal removal.  So if anybody ever has a need for a 52mm x 2.00 die, you know where one can be found.

Exhaust nut now can be hand tightened all the way except for the last thread or so at which point I have to use the wrench to snug it up.  Not as silky smooth as the undamaged side but hey.

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions.  Hope I can stir up the pot again soon!