[MDairheads] Exhaust Port Thread Success and Stirring the Pot

Will Andalora will_andalora at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 20:04:30 EDT 2018

Great news Kevin!

I was thinking this afternoon about stirring the pot and left it alone, but here goes...

It's personally beyond me why anyone would want to 'out-engineer' the engineers who gave us the manufacturer specifications for tire and tube use.  I simply do whatever has been recommended and don't think beyond that.

I haven't spent as much time on motorcycles as a lot of people, but I probably have a solid 100,000 miles on bikes with 85 percent of that on airheads.  In all that time I have only had to repair one flat tire on my bike.  I also repaired one on Eric's bike during the first Rolling Rally.  It just didn't seem like that big of a deal to me to pull the wheel break the bead and slip in a tube.  Especially for the averages of how often it has happened to me.

What can be done and what should be done can be endlessly debated, but I don't think one can go wrong following BMW's recommendation for tubes in tires on rims that were designed to be used with tubes.

I'll probably get three flat tires next weekend at the Last Days of Summer Rally... Lucky for me I carry spare tubes with me, a tire patch kit, cylinder air pump, and am hard-headed enough to pull the wheel and bust a few knuckles as evidenced by my 2017 'On the Road' seminar at Supertech...

All the Best,

Will