[MDairheads] Side Cover Question

Aloha Charlie surfboatdriver at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 01:34:59 EDT 2018

Kevin,

The side covers are originally held in place by the O-ring. You are correct the old O-ring will break and soon going by your description. When this happens the right side cover will be lost.

Over the years several solutions have been used to prolong the life of the right side cover. Using 2 or 3 O-rings works but you still have to keep an eye on them. Bungee cords last longer if you can find a small one that fits. Used to be that there was a small bungee cord that had metal ends that worked well until the metal end shorted the battery to the frame and caused another disaster. A good long lasting solution is to drill a couple of small holes in the cover and attach to the frame with wire ties. This can be done in a manner that is invisible to casual inspection. I have a cover only on the left side and so this is how I keep it from rattling around. (right side cover lost years ago because the O-ring broke, have just never found another pair or even a single right side cover I thought was priced right)

New O-rings are available at Bob's. Forget the price but they are not terribly high.

Charlie