[MDairheads] Side Cover Question

Kevin Fahey faheykm at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 10 20:44:51 EDT 2018

Not as controversial as spoke sealing but how exactly do /7 side covers attach to the bike?

Found a used original R80/7 set that still has the correct decals on eBay.  Not exactly the same color as my bike - solid black vs my black with the small gold flecks - but the patina is right and the decals and paint are in great shape considering, so without real close scrutiny they look like they belong to the bike.

Function of the back tabs on the covers are self-evident.  The front ends have hooked shaped tabs.  Do I strap the fronts together by stretching the o-ring from cover hook to cover hook across the front of the battery?  O-ring that came with the set is old, cracked and not long for this world.  I happen to have one in my 20 year drawer that will reach if strapping hook to hook is the way these things are mounted.  Nothing on the frame looks like a tab for hooking the o-ring.

Not like the UJM grommet and post style side covers I'm used to.

Kevin