Commando Lay Shaft bearing

David Behnken davidebehnken at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 10:36:15 EDT 2021

Morning Eric.

I believe Brian Safer's lay shaft bearing in his '74 Mark2a was starting to
go last summer and he replaced it.  If I recall correctly, his kickstart
lever started to show the telltale signs of upcoming bearing failure and
Dan Sellers gave him a heads up that it needed attention sooner rather than
later.  The good news is, as Frank said, it's relatively easy to get to and
not like you need to take half the bike apart to make the repair.  If I
remember correctly, people often replace the ratchet spring and/or gear
change return spring and check the kick starter pawl when they're in there
but I could be wrong. (?)  Maybe someone who knows for sure can chime in.
I have yet to tear into a gearbox myself so I have no first hand
knowledge.

David B