[dvnr] advise needed oil leak

William F. Dudley Jr. dud at casano.com
Wed Mar 25 21:02:46 EDT 2020

Dan, Brian, Frank,

Thank you all for your input.

I really liked Brian's idea of using a socket head screw.
I used a stainless steel 1/4-20 that's about a half inch
longer than the original screw.  Since the threaded hole
in the left half case goes all the way through, a longer
screw works fine.  It might even be stronger, if the threads
go further than just the length of the stock screw.

I didn't use an impact driver.  Since I used a socket head,
I could use an allen wrench.  I put a "big grunt" on that,
but I didn't use any torque amplifiers (i.e. cheater pipe).

I did use locktite -- gap filling, with hopes it would run down
into the case seam.  The socket head should make that easier
to unscrew in future (than had I used the stock screw).

I also used Yamabond on the shank.

Bill Dudley