[dvnr] advise needed oil leak

Daniel Sellers dansellers45 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 20:51:11 EDT 2020

OK Bill,
Some of the respondents aren't going to like my advice but I think it is
best. (1) No locktight, it you need to get the screw out later you will
have a very hard time.  (2) don't over tighten that screw. The screw is one
with coarse Whitworth threads which are nearly identical to a 1/4-20 screw,
but its a higher strength then a grade 2 machine screw. It's coarse because
it is screwed into the facing aluminum case. Too much tightening will pull
the threads on the opposite case and maybe even pull the threads out. (3) I
don't have any objection to using sealant on the shank of the screw but the
screw and shank are below where the crankcase halves are sealed. At least
the oil won't come out of the recess for the screw. (4) Once you repair the
screw, the 3/8" mounting bolts will apply the force between the case
halves. (5) By the way, you did a great job of getting that hole right over
the screw.

Looking at the Norton torque specs for 1/4" screws into aluminum I see 60
to 80 inch pounds. That's like 5 to 7 ft lbs.  That doesn't seem like
impact driver force. But, what do I know?

Cheers
dano