[NJairheads] Blender Pumps

David Cushing dacush at ptd.net
Mon Apr 23 09:16:32 EDT 2018

You need to be VERY observant when you stop at a gas station to refuel your
vehicle - car or bike.

I traveled to the Wellsboro, PA area yesterday and stopped at a Sheetz to
refuel my car.  They have "blender pumps" where various octane are dispensed
through one nozzle, depending upon the octane you select.

At this Sheetz, near the intersection of PA 6 & 15, you had the choice of 3
nozzles.  The yellow covered nozzle was "flex fuel" which contained from 15%
to 83% ethanol.  The blue covered nozzle was E15 (15% ethanol) & was 85
octane. The green covered nozzle was for the 10% ethanol in octanes 87, 89
or 91.

There was posted a small note stating that E15 was for 2001 & later
vehicles, but who pays attention to those little notices/stickers?  You DO
NOT want to use E15 in your motorcycle or any small engine such as a
lawnmower, etc. Of any production year. I personally know that E15 makes my
truck run poorly & it is a later model than 2001.

I am sure that this station was not the only one of its type in PA. There
are many other name brands out there that probably do the same.

BE AWARE

David