disk wear?

Michael Cecchini mrc.engr at verizon.net
Sat Jul 10 17:23:36 EDT 2021

Imo...@ 43k miles the rotors should not be down to 3.7.

Sounds like someone used sintered metallic pads that are very aggressive material for stronger stopping, but this leads to much more rotor wear.  Very typical..

Unless you are a stickler for originality I'd go with a top name brand rotor maker that can offer you the right pads for their rotor for a perfect match.

Sorry I can't recommend a aftermarket rotor maker w/pads as you have Brembo F08 calipers and I have earlier ATE calipers.

I'd call Bud Provin who has 30+ yrs Airhead experience.   (802) 483-2460

$.02
***************************************
From: Bill

Hi All,

I have an `88 R100 with dual front disks and gave the brakes a safety
check today.

Pads were fine but the disks were under spec, 3.7mm.  Clymer says they
should not be less than 4mm.

My questions are:

1. Does that sound like normal wear for 43k miles?  (I know "depends",
but generally?)

2. What is the thickness of a new replacement disk?  (just curious,
outer edge of old disk reads 4.2mm)

3.  How soon should I plan on replacing the disks?  (and I assume new
pads at same time.)

thanks,

Bill Bachman