tools and tips

Michael Cecchini mrc.engr at verizon.net
Mon Jan 11 14:57:13 EST 2021

Welcome Porter.

Nice to see you doing your own work.

Hopefully you have a small $30 Harbor Freight parts washer that will be of great help.
Suggest you use mineral sprits....aka paint thinner (95%) and old used oil (5%) as your parts washer fluid.
Cheap and very kind to painted parts and other items vs $20--$40/gallon specialized fluids.

Btw........you don't need a flywheel bar to secure the flywheel......a simple 12mm--17mm box & open end wrench will do nicely to lock the flywheel when removing & installing new bolts.
 Nor do yo need anything special to keep the front of the crank in place. Properly sized dense fold of newspaper wrapped in tape between the front cover and alternator bolt works well.
Lots of hands-on experience in MD. Airheads so you are in good hands.
Also I suggest you join a great Airhead page for more excellent tips, advice, pics and how to vids.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/139111586681658

This should get you started.  Brook Ream's is super guy with lots of details for the RS.
https://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcycle-rebuilds/1983-bmw-r100rs-rebuild-project-index/

Nice bike the RS.  If it has original valves & seats as they have a history of recession and both should be replaced.

My best....... Mike in Bethesda.

*************************************************************************From: Porter Gieske

Greetings Md airheads-
    I am new to this group, Ive been meaning to write, I now have a good excuse.

I am rebuilding a 1981 R100RS- down to frame paint.
I wasn’t planning on doing extensive engine work, but the guru from afar that I have been consulting with has convinced me to do some preventative maintenance.
I pulled the transmission to do the spline lube and its a mess in there. Oil and grime.
I now need to pull the clutch/flywheel to get to the oil pump.  I’ll be doing the seals as well.
Which leads me to this - tools.  I'm not against buying some of them, but they might be offered on loan from members here.
Other tools I can potentially make, or 3d print, as that’s part of my profession.  The main seal disc with the 5 holes is an example of that.
I’ll need the flywheel bar, clutch removal tools, clutch centering tool, and something to stop the crank from the rotor end at the front.

If anyone also wants to lean over my shoulder and point with comments - bring it on.

thanks-
Porter Gieske

Lutherville area