[MDairheads] Dangerous Advice re Sealing Tube Type Rims

Brian Kirchhoff bkirchhoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 12:21:37 EDT 2018

I don't think Mac was waging a personal attack. Nor do I think what he said
is analogous to the examples of discussions over modifications we Airheads
get into about equipment that you list.

His email (and my follow up) was simply a warning and reminder that many of
the people in the Airhead community who know the most about our particular
bikes have come to a general consensus that this particular conversion
could be a SAFETY issue and as a result, they strongly advise against the
suggestion Mike offered. The examples you provide are not really in that
same category but are along the line of personal preference -- they
wouldn't put the rider in much (if any) risk if done correctly. This simply
is not a Corbain vs. Russell discussion. This was a warning that if you
convert spoked wheels to run without tubes, the Gurus have consistently
warned us that this increases the risk of tire failure because the rim was
not designed to work that way. That could realistically cause serious
injury or death.

While you are right that everyone can and must choose what they want to do,
your claiming that this isn't anyone else's business is not fair to the
intention that Mac (and I) had in responding to this particular suggestion.
I have a vested interest in NOT crashing myself -- along with a strong
desire to NOT see any of my friends crash as a result of a potentially
unsafe modification. As Mac said, if anyone new to Airheads read Mike's
response to my email without knowing the rest of this context, it could
lead someone to make a quick decision that is not informed by the
information many of our fellow Airheads have communicated to us over the
past several years.

Again -- do what you want to do. Nobody is infringing on your rugged
individualism and right to self-determination. But I strongly support Mac
sending out this warning; I'm never going to criticize someone for making
information available about a potential danger involved with  something we
might do with or to our bikes. All he did was encourage anyone considering
this modification to read a bit more from the likes of Snowbum and Cutter
who know more than most of us and have already taken the time to explain
the risks to us. (Thank god Snowbum's articles will live on!)

And if you don't like all of those discussions you list and think we should
all shut up and keep our opinions to ourselves, I have to wonder --- why
are you on an Airhead forum distribution list. That's like 95% of what gets
talked about on here. :-) This would be a pretty quiet forum if people
didn't talk about all that shit!

brian m. kirchhoff
402.617.2222 mobile