[MDairheads] Dangerous Advice re Sealing Tube Type Rims

Brian Kirchhoff bkirchhoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 06:26:07 EDT 2018

Thanks Mac. I think that's a smart reminder and what you say is in line
with the consensus of opinions I received when I heard this was an option
some years back.

I'm fine with a retrofit of new technology in some instances on my Airhead.
Converting from our old bulbs to LED, for example, is a great incorporation
of new tech into our older machines with little-to-no new risk associated
with the conversion (I mean, you always have to make sure you do electrical
work correctly, but that's true regardless). However, when it comes to
something like wheels and tires, I was concerned with any conversion that
utilized the original rims which were not designed to work this way and
that concern was confirmed by several Airheads (and a shop) with whom I
discussed this.

Bottom line is: I have one Airhead, she needs her tires changes every so
often and I'm perfectly happy to keep using tubes and paying someone to do
install them I don't rip the damned things during installation. This way I
know my tires and rims are set up as those German engineers intended. To
each their own; I just feel safer this way. Same reason I just feel more
comfortable having my tires balanced and weighted traditionally rather than
using any number of self-balancing hacks available out there. They may work
just fine -- but why take a risk when a simple, proven solution exists
right in front of me?

YMMV

brian m. kirchhoff
402.617.2222 mobile