Barn Find Program

Richard Colahan rcolahan at epix.net
Mon Apr 12 21:09:15 EDT 2021

I'll pass this on to a number of vintage bike folks in my e/m list.
You may have seen it before...just delete if not interested...

 https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/vincent-rapide-velocette-venom-and-5000-other-motorcycles-barn-find-hunter-ep-95/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Tuesday_DailyDriver

I'll share a comment or two...

> I appreciate the 2nd gentleman and his collection. Seems like nice chap! He knows what he has and I get the sense he appreciates and cares...at least as best as he can considering his age...for what he has. BTW, A good friend has a similar era "end-of-production" Thruxton which also has a Concentric carb. The story goes that Velo's inventory of GP's was stolen near the end of production so they simply went with the Concentrics. And I wish he could convince the market about how rare and valuable the BSA RGS is...as the market for those seems a bit down!

> However, I admit that I lose patience with folks like the 1st gentleman. They are not collectors...as his T-shirt says...he is a hoarder. NOTHING good is happening to those bikes. They are roting away. When you ask if they would consider passing one on...it's usually "No....I'm going to fix that one up..."
It seldom happens.
But that, of course, is his choice...
As an aside...he's spot-on regarding the 1974 Yamaha SC500. I worked at a Yamha dealer back then and took one for a brief test ride on West Chester Pike. The most frightening bike I think I've ever ridden!

Cheers, Richard Colahan