An Event that is not canceled

GEORGE G_ROETENBERG at msn.com
Sun May 31 19:29:13 EDT 2020

Norton Riders,

>From the latest Norton news, NCNO Rolling Thunder is still planned for Sept. 11-13 in Spring Grove PA.  That is not far for most of us.  It is probably at the White Rose Motorcycle Club just outside York PA.

Our May Non-Meeting at the Washington Crossing Park/Orlandos was more successful than I expected with about 15 members in attendance.  I will continue to schedule (weather permitting) Non-Meetings on third Sundays about 3 days in advance to accommodate weather forecasts.  Email me if you have any good COVID-19 safe spots in mind to meet.  Next date is June 21st.

I have been catching up on some Norton work since I am stuck at home.  A leaky head gasket on my Mk3 needed to be addressed.  I was also getting a nice cloud of smoke from one cylinder on start up and some plug fouling.  I had a nice rebuilt RH10 head and new carbs so I was ready for a slight performance upgrade also over the stock MK3.  When I pulled the head off, I noticed a cylinder bore was scored.  Well now the cylinder barrels are coming off too.  So now I am staring at a wiped cam lobe and cam follower and strangely worn pistons.  Full engine rebuild time.  Looks like I am funding Frank Cornwall’s retirement fund at Clubman Racing.

What I have guessed so far.  The pistons were too tight causing strangely worn streaky pistons (internet source).  The head was incorrectly assembled in multiple ways.  Rocker pin flats faced to wrong way and missing heat insulating washers on intake valves.  The rocker pin flats aim the oil to the cam and pushrods.  Interesting that it lasted a long time in this condition.  The bike will be put back together more correctly this time by me.  This is why everyone needs more than one Norton.

George