[dvnr] advise needed oil leak

William F. Dudley Jr. dud at casano.com
Tue Mar 24 18:46:32 EDT 2020

Hi,

My 71 Commando is weeping oil out of the motor.

There are two leaks.  One is the case joint between left and
right halves, aft of the oil drain/oil screen.

The other one is from the screw around which I have drawn
a red circle in the attached photo.

I don't want to disassemble the entire motorcycle for these
stupid leaks.  I can goober up the case on the seam with some
RTV and stop that leak, but the one at the screw is harder,
since the screw is hidden behind the engine mounting plate.
(I also have some more sophisticated means to seal that leak
on the seam.  So I may not end up goobering it up with RTV.)

I thought that if I drilled a hole in the engine mounting plate,
right over that screw, then I could then sort out that leak
one way or another.

Questions:

1. what does that screw do?  Does it just plug an oil way after
the factory drilled the oil way during manufacturing?

2. Does anyone have a Commando case not mounted in a motorcycle
from which they could measure 'X' and 'Y' as shown on my drawing?
That will help me locate where to drill.

I plan on putting a stainless plate between the engine mounting
plate and the crankcase when I drill, so that I don't overshoot
and make a mess of the case.

Thanks,
--
Bill Dudley