[dvnr] Mechanic Help

Daniel Sellers dsellerspa at verizon.net
Tue Feb 18 15:44:34 EST 2020

Jack Lyons

Actually many of our members like to hear about your problems as they learn from your misery. Some, I might admit, may also chuckle uncontrollably and be glad that YOU are having the problem and not THEY!

Well if it ran before it will run again. From what I read I would start with the carburetors. When you over tighten the mounting flange you warp the base and distort the bore in the throttle body making the slide hang up just as you observed. Loosening will relieve some of the bore distortion but it remains out of shape (round). The EXPERTS who think they know it all believe you can remove the warp of the base of the carb by sanding it on a glass plate. While this will flatten the mounting surface it will not fix the distortion of the throttle body bore. Air leaking around the carburetor base and leaking around the throttle slide will reduce the vacuum when you are starting (and running at idle) to the point that the engine won't pull the fuel from the bowl. Engine won't start and if and when it does start it is too lean to remain running. Having the choke slides removed exacerbates the problem even more.

Without studying the Mercury parts manual in detail, I don't know what parts are used to attach the carbs. I know that the Triumph Amal Concentric carbs of the same era use a hard heat spacer against the engine and use the "O" ring in the carburetor groove against the spacer. To reduce the over tightening of the nuts there is a shouldered stud and combination of steel and rubber washers to fasten the carburetor.

We have a member who is somewhat of an expert at getting the carb body bores back into shape but he works on motorcycles for a living and doesn't do charity work. If the carbs are the only problem then perhaps new bodies would be the easy way out. But of course, how can you be sure that's the problem until you fix it.

Dan Sellers