[dvnr] help needed with Pazon install

William F. Dudley Jr. dud at casano.com
Tue Apr 16 18:09:27 EDT 2019

I'm changing the ignition on my 71 Commando from whatever it was that
was flaky to a new Pazon.

I followed the directions, and I have done this before (the Pazon is
just like an old Boyer, same pickups on a circuit board, etc) and yet,
when I kick the bike over, all I get is an enormous pop out the air filter.

I have the Sparx 3 phase charging system on the bike, and a small AGM
battery that is in good shape.

Questions:

Is there only ONE timing mark on the alternator rotor?  What I think I
see is a raised boss about 1 cm wide, with a line scored at about the
middle of the raised boss.

Is that scored line the timing mark, or is there some other mark I
should be looking for?

The Pazon instructions say to turn the motor over until the timing mark
is at 32 or 28 degrees (they give both numbers and I don't know why),
and then to install the rotor on the cam shaft with the red dot visible
in the "anti-clockwise" window.

I think I've done this, and yet, obviously, I've failed, since the bike
won't run.

Thanks for your time.
--
Bill Dudley