[dvnr] Sunday Tune Up

Daniel Sellers dansellers45 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 11:23:51 EDT 2019

Clyde
I sort of expected you to show up at the tune up meeting yesterday. It's
nice to know you at least had intentions of being there. It would have been
fun to take your bike all apart!

Now for your questions, spark plugs are normally set at 0.025" for coil
ignition. If your plugs burn clean (correct mixture) then I like to open up
the gap to 0.028" to get a hotter spark but that is just something I've
done for 50 years. As for plug brand, your NGK's should be fine, many
owners like the original Champion N7Y but I don't have good luck with them
and I use an Autolite equivalent, usually #44 but the base is not plated
and will rust over time. Does not hurt performance but looks unkempt. There
are several Autolites that are equivalent and the racing equivalent is
plated. I've used them all at one time or another.

Your battery question is more difficult! If you ask 30 members individually
you would get 30 different answers. Some prefer the least expensive
(cheapest) wile others like the best (more expensive). Some like the
smallest you can get by with, 7 amp hour and others the most reserve 12 Amp
Hour (for not Estart Commando). Estart should be 14 amp hour to meet
factory specs. Most owners prefer the sealed batteries to eliminate battery
acid getting on the bike and removing the chrome. In almost all cases the
sealed battery of the same physical size has a lower true AH rating but the
maintenance free function is worth the trade off. I hope you get other
opinions to lead you in some (I won't say right) direction.

Now let us know what battery you were using and how long did it last?

Cheers
Dan Sellers