[dvnr] Delaware Valley Norton Riders w/ MkIII electric start Nortons

Daniel Sellers dsellerspa at verizon.net
Mon Oct 29 17:10:41 EDT 2018

Seriously Chris

 Which oil leak are you trying to eliminate?
Oil from the tach drive
Oil from the the head gasket
Oil from the primary cover
Oil from the primary transmission shaft seal
Oil from the camshaft seal in the points chamber
Oil from the kick start shaft on the transmission
Engine oil getting into the primary
Transmission oil getting into the primary
Exhaust rocker covers
Intake rocker cover
Oil hose to rocker shafts
Oil hoses to and from oil filter
Blowby out of oil tank

I agree with Bob Norum on the crankcase vent valve as a big help although I don't use one. I also believe that you never let the oil get to the high mark on the oil tank dipstick. Always check the oil after a run when you can be sure ALL the oil from the sump has been returned to the oil tank. Use heavy wt motorcycle oil. 40 or 50. except on a new rebuild. Park the engine with the pistons on the top of the stroke (compression). Do not overfill the transmission.

Each one of the above problems has a fix. Some fixes are worse than an oil drip. Ask Dave Glover how his tach drive with a lip seal fixed his oil problem. Tach will never work again until he put a new camshaft into the engine.

I'm just saying! 50 years ago the Nortons were built as inexpensive transportation that last for maybe 6 or 8 years.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheerio
Dan