[VAAirheads] 28th Gathering of the Clans is CANCELED

Charlie Smith bmwcharlie at embarqmail.com
Sat May 9 23:57:29 EDT 2020

Airheads,  I had phone conversations with all who are involved in putting on the Gathering last night and all had some form of saying we need to cancel.   Although NC is in the process of implementing phase one of opening up, the guidelines restrict gatherings of more than ten people, It may be different a month from now, it could be wide open....or it could go back to lock down. The uncertainty is a problem.  There are also two major risks involved. Risk one is being a point of transmission. We like the folks who come to the Gathering, and we don't want to take the chance of them getting infected there. The second risk is financial. Last years washout depleted our rally fund. We normally plan for 130-150 people, food for that size group for two meals is not cheap. This year there is no way to project how many folks would venture out.  Just from the number of emails and phone calls I have gotten, I know folks are craving a road trip and and social gathering (as opposed to distancing). We would like nothing better than to offer that opportunity, but it ain't happening this year. However, you could contact a few friends, select a destination, and have your own mini rally. Take some photos, write a couple of paragraphs and send it to BJan for the Airmail. "What I did instead of the Gathering of the Clans", Brent Hollowell , owner of the camp ground we use for the Gathering, told me he would be open for business, but you will be responsible for your own food and beverage.  Please use your mailing lists, facebook, or other social media you use to pass this information along to folks who might not look at the calendar on the Airheads web page.   Hey folks, stay healthy, be happy and with any luck at all, we will have the Gathering next year.  Charlie #13