[NYAirheads] questionnaire about SuperTech 2019

William F. Dudley Jr. r90s-rider at casano.com
Thu Oct 18 17:43:27 EDT 2018

Many of you will be attending the 2019 Supertech, to be held February in
Boyertown, PA.

I thought it might be useful to offer a class on "the Internet for
Airheads", in which I would try to de-mystify some aspects of using
the Internet.  I am not kidding about this; most of you, if asked, will
freely admit that you "can barely use email".

The topics I thought I would cover:

1. how to use email
    a. proper use of To, Cc, Bcc, and Reply-To headers
    b. the subject line and maintaining a "thread"
    c. trimming your messages to only include relevant text from
previous emails
    d. Identifying the source of an email, and understanding mailer errors
    e. interacting with mailing lists, like this one or the micapeak
Airhead list
    f. dealing with "spam", "malware", "phishing", etc.

2. how to use your web browser
    a. The "name" of a web site and what is a "URL"
    b. Using the URL "bar"
    c. using Google to find things on the internet
    d. finding things you need on eBay and Amazon
    e. web security (passwords, https encryption)

PA Airmarshal Rob Price wasn't overly enthused about this presentation,
but we agreed that I would poll the nearby Airhead population for their
opinions on the value of this talk.

You can either reply directly to the list, or only to me,
r90s-rider at casano.com

If you think of other sub-topics that should be added to this talk, do
not hesitate to suggest them.

If you just want to say "this is a stupid idea" or "where do I sign up",
those answers are also useful.

Thanks for your time,
--
William Dudley