Fwd: Fw: On-Line Meetings - Zoom vs. Other Platforms

chris bednark cbednark at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 16:31:37 EST 2021

Your may want to look at this

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: jim mckindles <jmckindles77 at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 6, 2021, 6:03 PM
Subject: Fw: On-Line Meetings - Zoom vs. Other Platforms

----- Forwarded Message -----
*From:* Charles Leady <charles.e.leady.uscg.aux at gmail.com>
*To:* Charles Leady <charles.e.leady.uscg.aux at gmail.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 12:55:12 PM EST
*Subject:* On-Line Meetings - Zoom vs. Other Platforms

As I mentioned in the recent MI GOP County Convention training meeting, I
am also a volunteer employee of Homeland Security and as such have been
instructed by Leadership not to use "ZOOM" (ever) because it is considered
not to be a secure platform, even as only a participant.  Data on your
computer and personal information could be at risk.  Consequently, I was
only able to participate by phone.

A quick search yielded the attached recent article which I suggest that you
read (especially the parts underlined).

Platforms that are considered to meet basic security requirements and can
be used by the general public without cost include:
GoToMeeting
Cisco Webex
Microsoft Teams

It is my considered opinion that our Party should take Internet security
very serious in light of the current environment.  The cost to the Party
for any of the above platforms is minor, and as I mentioned *no cost* to
members.

Please pass this up the ladder to the appropriate leaders.

*Note:  Schools all over our country are routinely using ZOOM for remote
learning.*

Sincerely,
Chuck Leady
Vice-Chair Cheboygan County Party

*P.S.  **Excerpts from Wikipedia* - (Although not my favorite source ...
Take it for what it is worth)

Beginning in early 2020, Zoom's software usage saw a significant global
increase following the introduction of quarantine measures adopted in
response to the COVID-19 pandemic. *Its software products have faced public
and media scrutiny related to security and privacy issues. A portion of
Zoom's workforce is based in China, which has given rise to surveillance
and censorship concerns.*

Eric Yuan, a former Cisco engineer and executive, is a Chinese-born
American billionaire businessman, and the CEO and founder of Zoom, which
launched its software in 2013.

In April 2020, Citizen Lab warned that having much of Zoom's research and
development in China could "open up Zoom to pressure from Chinese
authorities." *Zoom subsequently admitted to shutting down activist
accounts at the request of the Chinese government. *

On December 19, 2020, a former Zoom executive was charged by the U.S.
Department of Justice with conspiracy to commit interstate harassment and
unlawful conspiracy to transfer a means of identification. Federal
prosecutors in Brooklyn, *NY, said that Xinjiang "Julien" Jin was Zoom's
main liaison with intelligence and law enforcement agencies of China,*
which Zoom later acknowledged. Jin is not in custody because he currently
lives in China.

In January 2020, Zoom had over 2,500 employees, with 1,396 in the United
States and 1,136 in international locations. It is reported that *700
employees within a subsidiary work in China and develop Zoom software.*