2021 Maryland Airheads Last Days of Summer Rally Beef Bourguignonne

rtrumbule at verizon.net rtrumbule at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 22:47:28 EDT 2021

Thanks for the recipe Will.That was one fantastic meal!Bob

Sent from the all new AOL app for Android

  On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 9:46 PM, Maryland Airheads<marylandairheads at gmail.com> wrote:   Eric and anyone interested,

The recipe :
Start with 25 lbs of botto/chuck beef... It doesn't have to be a tender cut...
Dice into chunks between the size of golf balls and lacrosse balls. Heavily coat with salt, pepper, and garlic... Turn grill to high heat. Brown meat for full sear. Once finished transfer to a large tight sealing roasting pan. I use old Wearever  aluminum toasters. Bake at 225 until almost fork tender.
Cook and drain the rendered fat from three pounds of bacon.

Meanwhile...
Purchase 5 lbs of baby portabella mushrooms and 5 pounds of white button mushroom. Slice thickly. Add one half pound of butter to a deep soup pot and melt. Add mushrooms and sautee with a little beef bone broth.
Also procure 5lbs of onions and caramelize in rendered bacon fat until they are really browned.
Once all of this has been cooked, combine them together and add about 6 ounces of minced dried garlic, and an ounce of dried powdered garlic.  Also add three bottles of a dark Malbec wine.
Cook at a low simmer with a slightly cracked lid for an hour or so. The broth will thicken a little with evaporation.
This is enough Beef Bourguignone to serve 60 hungry rally attendees!
(I don't like adding carrots or pearl onions to it, although this is traditionally added)
Recipe for the mashed potatoes:
Cut and boil 15 lbs of red potatoes. Sautee three large bags of torn kale with the stems removed in a quart of mushroom broth...
Before this roughly chop 10 lbs of yellow onions and caramelize in olive oil and butter.
Once potatoes are cooked add one pound of butter and a quart of whole milk. Rough mash with salt and pepper and garlic, and add the sauteed kale and hot caramelized onions. Mash together and add some leftover mushroom broth and milk to desired consistency!
This can be scaled down or up as required!
Enjoy!
Will