Carb sync and tuning

Zwicky, Eric ezwicky2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 16:15:39 EDT 2021

Also, it would be helpful to read up a bit on the procedure(s).
There's a few.   Shorting sticks, various gauges (I have the Harmonizer
and I love it).

But basically, after you have the timing and the valves sorted, you want
to baseline your carbs.

Start with the idle stop screws, which open the butterfly in the carb
body, at *just touching* the lever.  or Maybe one turn in.   But both
sides set the same way.

Then turn in the idle mixture screws (at the bottom of the carb body)
til they bottom out, then back them out a full turn, or a turn and a
half.   Different years  models have different starting points.   You'll
have to look at the Bing site, or maybe Snowbum's site, for specifics.
   Now you've got the baseline set.

Also, make sure your throttle cables at each side have roughly the same
amount of play, maybe 6 - 10mm, at the place where the outer cable
sheath sits in the little adjuster on the top of the carb body.

Then, I like to use the shorting-stick method to get the idle where I
want it (on my R90/6, around 1000rpm), and even on both sides.  This is
adjusted at the idle adjustment screws, not the idle mixture screws...
the ones that you level-set at the beginning. (The terminology can be
confusing).    Once it's roughed-in like this, I use the Harmonizer from
here on.      But I am assuming you don't have one, so let's assume
shorting sticks.

One I am happy that the idle is at the right rpm and both sides are
contributing equally, I will use the idle mixture screws to set each
side at their highest rpm.    You might have to turn one in a bit, and
the other one out a bit.   Turn the screw an 8th of a turn at a time,
slowly, waiting to hear an increase or decrease in rpm.    Or use the
gauge to see the rpms rise or fall.

Once you've got the idle mixture optimized on each side, go back to step
one and re-balance the idle stop screws (butterfly valve) as both sides
might no longer be in balance since you've optimized the idle *mixture*.

You might have to keep going back and forth a few times between idle
speed and idle mixture adjustments til you have them both optimized.

Once you're happy with those steps, you want to adjust the throttle
cable where it attaches at the carb.

start the engine and twist the throttle just off idle, and adjustments
to the adjusting nut until both sides are balanced *with the throttle
engaged a bit*.    Some people make the cable adjustments with the
throttle just off idle, some recommend running it up to 3000rpm and
checking.

This is much easier with a gauge than with shorting sticks btw.    For
somebody new to it anyway.   Old-timers with a lot of experience, and a
good feel and good ears love the shorting sticks method.    Me, my ears
are shot from a lifetime of loud music so I like the Harmonizer.

There's probably a lot of minor details that the gurus will pick apart
here, but this is the gist.

The thing is to read up and get a feel for it before you start.    Just
a few for starters:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/synchcarbs.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bmJ0iYBYgQ

And this pdf from Bing to see where to set your idle-mixture screws to
start:

https://www.bingcarburetor.com/uploads/9/8/7/9/98794296/bmw_jetting_chart_cv_carbs.pdf

Good luck.

eric