R100RT oil cooler issue

Tom Cutter rubberchickenracing at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 22:55:25 EST 2021

Walter-

Have you ever tested the oil cooler thermostat that lives in the bottom of
the filter head? You can put it in a pan of boiling water to see if the
center pin extends as it gets hot. It may have died.

The "expanding element" is #5 (11 42 1 259 488) in this diagram. Just
measure the overall length to the tip of the shiny steel pin then toss it
into boiling water. The water will not hurt it, but should make it push the
pin out quite a measurable amount. The pin projects downward toward the
bottom plug bolt, the one that you remove when fitting the bypass bolt for
servicing after an oil and filter change.

[image: image.png]

--
Tom Cutter
Yardley, PA

"The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not
expect to sit." --Deepak Panwar