[MDairheads] Maryland Airheads 2018 LDoS Rally ReCAP

Maryland Airheads marylandairheads at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 17:54:25 EDT 2018

Hedz,

If you missed it you missed a good one... Likely one of our best yet- the
event made by the people who attended and spent time together with
fantastic riding, raucous merriment, and the usual meals and shenanigans.

>From where I stood or sat... whether it was under the pavilion, around the
campfire, near Victor's van (which I am beginning to think has a local
gravitational force), or on my R80 as far south as Seneca Rocks and
northward to places I don't even know the name of, it certainly looked and
sounded like people were having a good time.

I know I did... This year there were many new faces mixed with old friends.
I rode more this year than any of the past few and my only regret is that I
wasn't able to ride with more of you wherever you roamed.

Many thanks to those who pitched in to lighten the load, and to my co-hosts
Brad Fowler and Jim McKinna. It really would not have been possible without
each of you.  I'd also like to thank the folks who assisted in cutting the
25 pounds of onions for the French onion soup Friday evening.

When nearly everyone had cleared out Brad approached me saying something to
the effect of, " I think there is a very real danger of the interior of the
van catching fire...."  He said in his usual subdued manner, and I replied,
"Why don't you disconnect the negative battery lead before you open the
internal engine compartment."  With that work done Brad quickly sorted the
cause of the sparking and smoking short. It was a pinch of the trailer
wiring that had been run in a precarious location.  It was repaired and we
then hooked up the trailer.  Next Brad said he'd noticed the temperature
gauge had been rising a bit pulling the trailer out to LDoS and he thought
it would be a good idea to make sure there was ample coolant.  It was low
and when we filled it, we discovered Brad's lower radiator hose had somehow
been sliced through in a very short section less than the width of a pencil
by his serpentine belt.  BUMMER! and WTF?  Erik, Alex, Drake, and one other
member of the Schuster Clan were still in camp and offered to stick around
until we fixed it.  After calls to multiple parts suppliers, we faced the
fact that no lower radiator hoses were going to be had before Monday at the
earliest.  While people formulated plans Brad went up to the office and was
able to source a large hose clamp.  That clamp combined with a tube tire
patch and small section of spare inner tube (thankfully Brad and others
ride bikes that use inner tubes) formed a patch that held... it was wide
enough, it was tight enough, and it was Airhead enough that we figured we'd
give it a go...

Once we were all set, and I had reheated the remaining potatoes and four
hot dogs over the wood fire for the ravenous lot- we said goodbye to the
Schusters and embarked on what proved to be an uneventful return trip.  My
trusty Volvo carried the load and enjoyed heading downward out of the
mountains, and the might Chevy 2500 Express never skipped a beat.  Brad
remarked later that the temperature dial rose to operating temperature and
never moved...  We think it's a permanent repair, but Brad is going to
replace the lower radiator hose for kicks.

Somehow I ended up with the Maryland Airheads Trailer in the one free
parking spot I have at my place.  I took it because no one else could haul
it, but I am desperately seeking a permanent Maryland home off-site.  I
live in town, in a duplex, with precious little parking available and I am
certain there Airheads in Maryland that have a corner on their farm or lot
where the trailer could be housed.  I am happy to assume ownership and
register it/maintain it if needed, but I can not store it.  Please, someone
come to my rescue.  Every time my trusty Volvo gets near the thing it
trembles and shakes with fear and trepidation with the unsettling thought
that I might actually hook the might beast to its lowly Class 1 receiver.
Again, please someone contact me with an offer to store the trailer.

All that aside, I did want to let everyone who attended the rally know that
I have created a shared album where people can upload and share images. I
only took a few this year, so please add your favorites for all to view.
The first and only image is of smiling Mae serving as Princess of the rally
upon the official Maryland Airheads transport vehicle...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fC2sHqgctx1MV9gw5

All the Best,

Will

Will Andalora
Maryland Airmarshal
ABC 11737
410.596.0812
www.airheads.org

Maryland Airheads Online Calendar:
*https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=marylandairheads%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=marylandairheads%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York>*

Google Photos Links to Maryland Airhead Events
2018 Last Days of Summer https://photos.app.goo.gl/fC2sHqgctx1MV9gw5
2018 Summer Solstice Tech Weekend
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YhLFV2AUHr2A6vWR7
2018 TecnhoBarn https://photos.app.goo.gl/mwbNEFZBDM2sAetJ3
2018 Supertech 2.3 https://photos.app.goo.gl/PLn3L34iSenMLnMR2
2018 Supertech 2.3 Museum Tour Day
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2cJl3ylJbNaUVG2A3
2017 Last Days of Summer https://photos.app.goo.gl/JEVvywZREED7OptL2
2017 Golden Age of Airheads https://goo.gl/photos/nQkpXFtvxHmwLDek8
2017 Summer Solstice Tech Day  https://goo.gl/photos/qN2YsweKParKqvXQ8
2017 Rolling Rally  *https://goo.gl/photos/KJT2wXuH6eTM19wU6
<https://goo.gl/photos/KJT2wXuH6eTM19wU6>*
2017 TechnoBarn  https://goo.gl/photos/j1f8tByCfVaBnCUKA
2017 SuperTech 2.2  https://goo.gl/photos/XrckZWXUDRdgJGjk6
2016 Last Days of Summer  https://goo.gl/photos/nYfKa6TabUay714h9
2016 Tom's Tech Day   https://goo.gl/photos/dmh5pktuHvUuvAwH9
2016 Passing of the Airmarshal Flag https://goo.gl/photos/u429MPzKALcJeuF79
2016 Summer Solstice Tech Day  https://goo.gl/photos/SkV19aC4Qc6vJTL78
2016 Rolling Rally  https://goo.gl/photos/ZuNcyMc2DMcrghXP6
2016 SuperTech 2.1  https://goo.gl/photos/Tdg86q3VsR87FdCF8
2015 Last Days of Summer  https://goo.gl/photos/w1XEMp9EkamucpK19
2015 Rolling Rally  https://goo.gl/photos/GKYhLDgV4VC4jUcZ9
2015 SuperTech 2.0  https://goo.gl/photos/oq99m9x492qFFbGR6
2014 Last Days of Summer  https://goo.gl/photos/WSmGi4YhUrHjY8Xt7

Note:  If you are a Gmail user, you can permanently add these albums to
your Google Photo Account. If not, you can simply reference the tag line of
emails from Maryland Airheads to access the albums. These albums are
shared, so people can add images to them.  Some folders are set up, but do
not contain images yet.  Feel free to add relevant images and if you want
to add additional images from another event, we can create albums to
support new or past events.