[MDairheads] Succesful Gearbox and clutch removal and replacement 1995 R100RT

Chris Kennedy chrisk224 at comcast.net
Tue May 15 17:04:00 EDT 2018

Afternoon all,

My new to me 1995 R100RT even with the low mileage showing, 19,750 mils, and
running well was very difficult to shift. After making sure all else was in
good order with a journey to Appomattox VA for the Horizon Unlimited
gathering I tackled the gearbox issue. With help from Duane Wilding and some
tricks learned from Robs gearbox removal and spline lube tech day in PA the
gearbox removal went very smoothly. Glad I chose to do the full removal as
the spline was remarkable rusty. Combine with the spline rust was the
corresponding rust on the clutch plate housing.

With the clutch removed I was able to remove the rust from the offending
parts and was also able to use the clutch plate to slide back and forth over
the spline to distribute the lubrication evenly. The other critical factor
in removing the gearbox was it enabled me to remove the clutch actuating
rod. Though the end closest to the release bearing piston was well
lubricated the end closest to the clutch had dried up grease and was binding
badly.

Reassembly was mostly straightforward. Having a second person, Duane
returned for more, made things go a lot easier. Apart from the usual
struggle with the drive shaft bolts the job was over in short order.

The test ride did not happen for two days but the difference in shifting was
transformative. The bike now shifts with a positive "snick" with little or
no resistance either up or down. Now it shifts better than any other airhead
I have ridden.

I took my time and incorporated other items at the same time so the bike was
on the lift for a week. However if all you want to do is gearbox removal,
spline lube and reassembly its less than a day's job if the parts are on
hand.

See you at the next gathering.

Cheers Chris