[MDairheads] Oil Cooling / Engine Heat Thoughts

Mike Cecchini mrc.engr at verizon.net
Sun Jul 1 20:38:30 EDT 2018

No worries about needing a oil cooler on your R80 Kevin.
If it really needed it BMW would have put one on it like some of the other
models that do come with it.

Fwiw.......I've been monitoring oil temps on my R90S-RS since 1985.  For ten yrs
before that it was a AMA Battle of Twins race bike.  BMW didn't put a oil cooler
on the R90S and it still doesn't have one today.

I run a oil dipstick thermometer. In 25+ yrs and 69,000 miles Oil temps have
never gone above 250 F even in 115 degrees in Las Vegas.  All other ambient
temps here in the DC area it never gets above 225 F running the bike between
5k--7k rpm for 1--2 hrs. 225 is ideal for all sorts of reasons oil needs to get
this hot to do it's job properly and rid itself of condensation.

I can recommend you use a name brand 20w--50 100% full synthetic motorcycle oil
that is JASO MA rated that will be right on the bottle.  When it gets below 20
degrees F I suggest you use the same oil quality but drop down to 10w--40.

I'll not start a endless debate here on why this is important......but I've been
studying motorcycle oils since the late 80's directly from oil engineers, racers
and many high level BMW Airhead shops on the east coast and west. For instance
Ted Porter's "The Beemer Shop", who was Service Manager of Bob's BMW for 15 yrs)
and my son worked for Ted for 5 yrs rebuilding and servicing Airhead motors.
All theses shops see thousands of Airhead engines + everything under the sun
when it comes to oils people put in their Airheads and the consequences.  All
agree any top level 20w--50 full synthetic JASO MA rated oil is what the Airhead
was designed and made for from 20 degrees to 130 degrees F ambient.