[MDairheads] Techno Barn

Will Andalora will_andalora at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 22 21:36:00 EDT 2018

Many thanks to Chris and Bridget for the generous hospitality this weekend. I had hoped to ride to the tech day, but a surprise birthday party Friday evening halted reassembly of my R80/7 and trouble shooting my new XT225. Two bikes  and neither one could ridden....

So, Saturday morning I loaded the new XT225 along with new tires and tubes and tools, a bottle of port and six pack of beer, some ground venison and pulled pork, and an owner manual for the new bike.  I really wanted to mount new tires, adjust the valves, and give the bike a once-over...

Dave Larabee was probably the hardest working man at Technobarn this year. He changed nine tires and assisted in the balancing of the same. Never having owned a dirt bike I didn't understand what the rim lock was all about and Dave graciously educated me.

Dave even managed to pull some thirty year old tires off of Kevin Fahey's warehouse find R80/7 and get new rubber on the spokes. With Bob Trumble's help I bled my brake fluid reservoir and replaced all the fluid.

Didier expalined what happened with his bike in detail, so no further explanation is needed there... but in the end having the trailer with me was a really good thing. I am thinking about having and airhead rescue logo affixed to the side of it!

After most people cleared out, Bridget treated those who stayed for dinner to roasted pork and vegetables with additional sides. It was delicious and because the weather cooperated we we're able to eat outside by the bonfire.  Wine, port, and other beverages flowed freely. Duane Wildings son Isaac, his daughter-in-law, and two of there three  beautiful daughters joined us and added measurably to the event. Isibella is just under six weeks old and when we did the math we discovered that Chris is a mere 3790 weeks older than her.

The night went late... I may have nodded off for a few minutes in there somewhere, but was rejuvinated by an enormous slice of carrott cake and another glass of port... Seeing no profit might come from drinking more port or beers, the last three standing- Kathleen, Cameron, and I made the wise decision and packed it in just after 1:30 AM.

This morning, I was up early and had the bike on the lift by 8:10 AM. I pulled the seat, tank, side covers and valve covers off the XT and set to work. Shortly thereafter Kathleen announced breakfast was almost ready. Chris had grilled kielbasa and we had it with fried eggs, toast, coffee, and lots of water Like I said, the Kennedy hospitality is legendary...

After some pleasant conversation, we went back out to the lift and Chris offered expertise and moral support. We adjusted the valves, reinstalled the battery, and were just finishing up when Dave Larabee rode in. We hot shotted the bike with some eyther and it roared to life. The carb still needs some tuning, but we rode it around the yard and it really is a hoot to ride!

We cleaned up a bit more and then Chris headed out with Matilda to return Dave's tire changer and wheel balancing kit, and I headed north with the bike on the trailer.

This afternoon I took it for a longer ride and discovered it will do 70mph easily. I doubt there is much more in it, but it's not needed really...

All in all, another fantastic Technobarn. One of my favorite weekends of the year.

Thanks so much Chris, Bridget, Dave, and everyone who joined the fun.

All the Best,

Will

On Apr 22, 2018 3:53 PM, Mike Adams via MDAirheads <mdairheads at casano.com> wrote:

We understand....

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 3:15 PM, Didier Devynck via MDAirheads <